Touching a text field places the cursor and displays the keyboard.
The type of text field determines what kind of characters are allowed inside the field. The virtual keyboard layout may be optimized for frequently used characters.
Common input types for which you should optimize include:
- Number: Phone number, credit card number, PIN
- Text: Proper name, username, URL
- Mixed format: Email address, street address, search query
The first letter in each text field should be capitalized where appropriate and if required by the locale, as well as the first letter of each sentence. For example, this is especially relevant for input fields that:
- Ask to name something, such as a Bluetooth device, user, fingerprint, or alarm
- Contain sentence-like messages, such as text messages